Monday, November 3, 2014

CRAFT - Stained "Glass" Art for Kids

My mom sent me this idea and now I totally love it! We had a birthday party we had to go to and we had no money for a gift, so we decided to make a gift. I already had all the supplies so it didn't cost me a thing to make these.

Get a large back of clear colored beads, metal cookie cutters OR just a muffin pan. If yo decided to use the cookie cutter method place the cookie cutters on a non-stick cookie pan or similar. Place your bead in any pattern you want into the bookie cutter or bottom of the muffin pan (hole side up).



So the next part can be a little inconvenient... you need to bake them and the fumes that come off the melting plastic is not good for you to inhale. What I did was place my toaster oven outside and melted them in that at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. I have heard others use a barbecue. Use whatever you think would be best. If you decide to use your conventional oven please open all windows and turn on the vent fan.



You can tell when they are done because it will be one solid piece with no bumps. Pull them out and let them cool off completely and they will pop right out. If using the cookie cutter method you may have to push it out and don't be afraid to use some force if needed I haven't had any break on me yet.






Lastly take a drill and drill bit (size 1/8 is what I used) and very slowly drill a hole at the top. If you go too fast it will crack. Make sure you are also not too close to the top.


Take string/yarn/fishing line and run it through the hole you have drilled and hang up in the window!



If you want to make some really fun big ones, you will have to use your oven, but you can use a metal pie pan or round cake pan.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment