Thursday, January 30, 2014

MOTHERHOOD - Can a mom go back to college?

So things have been rough for us and I've thought about different ways to help our financial situation. I decided that I want to go back to school and get my LPN.

THE SCENARIO: I went to a Nursing Seminar today at the local community college and... well... it wouldn't be an easy road. I have to pass all my pre-reqs for the class with a B or higher and have a 3.0 or higher. Which all of these things are honestly do-able for me, I got a 3.4 in high school and things come easily to me learning wise so that is good.

THE CATCH: Once I get my CPN licence and can apply to the nursing program. After completing (and passing) all of my pre req classes AND passing me TEAS test AND filling out the application my application is officially "eligible" after this is the waiting game begins. Will I be accepted? Will I not? There is typically around 45 openings and over 140 students apply to the program each year. Then... IF you are selected as one of the lucky few you MUST go to school full-time (11 credits) there's no choice in the matter.

GOOD THING: The Nursing Program can only be 1 year (LPN) or 2 years (RN) long, depending on what you want to do.

Of course I want to be a pediatric nurse so I need an RN, but being a mom of 3 and still needing to work during all of this... would it be possible to accomplish all of this? Am I putting too much on my plate? Should I look in a different direction.

HELP.

No comments:

Post a Comment